Oak View Group (OVG) is the world's leading arena development, management, and hospitality company founded in 2015 by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff to disrupt business as usual. As the largest developer of sports and entertainment facilities in the world, OVG prioritizes the way we do business focusing on making long-term investments in our people and our planet. We focus on building a diverse workforce and cultivating an inclusive workplace. Each day our team members around the world and throughout our local communities work together to provide the greatest experience to our fans and partners.
We celebrate and support a strong, transparent, authentic and inclusive culture focused around four core values:
We treat each other fairly and with respect.
We act with integrity.
We have an entrepreneurial spirit.
We give back to our global community.
More information at OakViewGroup.com, and follow OVG on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
The Assistant Director of Human Resources reports directly to the Director of Human Resources and will serve as a strategic business partner to the OVG leadership team at MPC, for venue management and food services and hospitality employees. Responsible for building continuity and consistent human resource practices within all departments within MPC. Under the direction of the Director of HR, the Assistant Director of HR will collaborate with the Corporate People Operations team to support in the areas of employee relations, recruitment and onboarding, and performance management as needed.
The Assistant Director of HR will further assist the Human Resources Director as liaison to Corporate Human Resources to ensure regulatory and company policy compliance, leadership and implementation of other company initiatives. The position serves as a consultant to the accounts management teams on human resource-related issues. The role serves to assist in HR related duties, as well as communicating needs proactively with the onsite Management team and the Corporate People Operations functions.
McCormick Place hosts events year-round and the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays will be required of the HR team, including the Assistant HR Director. This position is expected to be present on-site for the majority of the workweek.
This role will pay a salary of $55,000 to $75,000.
For FT roles: Benefits: Health, Dental and Vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 401(k) matching, and paid time off (vacation days, sick days, and 11 holidays).
About the Venue
McCormick Place located in downtown Chicago is the largest and most flexible convention center in North America., With over 2.6 million square feet of exhibition space, the campus proudly hosts some of the world's largest and most prestigious conventions, meetings, and trade shows, welcoming approximately 3 million visitors to Chicago every year.
• Acts as a liaison between OVG's Corporate People Operations team and the venues' management teams, in order to facilitate a consistent and unified human resources department.
• Follows OVG's human resources policies to assure compliance with legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting the human resource's function.
• Ensure federal, state and local regulatory compliance, including wage and hour regulations, FMLA, HIPPA, FLSA, alcohol service permit compliance, I-9 tracking, etc.
• Assit in recruiting efforts to establish staffing levels, developing recruitment sources, holding job fairs, and handling postings. Assist with screening, interviewing, selection, onboarding-orientation, training and retention process.
• Provides ongoing support to managers and supervisors on meeting responsibilities as defined under CBA, and coordinate strategies for resolving employee relations issues such as but not limited to performance management, corrective action/discipline, workplace climate, and other related areas. Ensuring legal, regulatory, policy and collective bargaining agreement requirements are met to minimize liability exposure for the organization.
• Monitors complaint and grievance process to ensure compliance with timelines and response requirements, under the general direction of the Director of Human Resources, may assist in the formulation of negotiated settlement agreements related to complaints and grievances.
• Support managers with all employee relations issues including performance evaluation, disciplinary action, conflict resolution and succession planning.
• Be thoroughly familiar with company policies and procedures/work rules and assist in the implementation and interpretation of these policies, procedures and practices.
• Assist in oversight of risk management: submit 801 and other incident reporting forms to carrier, handle claims management, drive safety committee, and implement modified duty/return to work plans.
• Assist hiring managers with recruiting efforts as needed for part-time, seasonal, and/or hourly staff to maintain staffing levels
• Provide training to employees (Orientation, Open Enrollment, Performance Management, etc)
• Organize and partner with department managers to complete new hire orientation and provide new employees solid company knowledge, guidance on policies and access to Company handbook(s) and resources.
• Participate in the Employee Engagement Committee
• Communicate corporate-driven health and wellness initiatives, including Benefit enrollments and follow up for new hires.
• Assist local coordination of Internship Program; partner with Corporate Talent Acquisition on company selection requirements and implement locally.
• Provide support to the local finance team in compiling response to regulatory requests from state or federal agencies (i.e. Employee Earning Statements, Unemployment Compensation-ADP, and Employee Verifications) and attend hearings as necessary.
• Assist in local investigations and assist as a liaison with Corporate HR for regulatory charges (i.e. harassment / discrimination) as directed; complete internal investigations, gather data for all state or EEOC Investigations as requested by legal counsel
• Other duties as assigned.
• Exercises tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential personnel issues
• Communicates tactfully and effectively, both verbally and in writing
• Knowledge of principles, procedures, legal compliance requirements, and best practices for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, conflict resolution and HRIS applications
• Knowledge of general business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, and coordination of people and resources
• Must be able to develop constructive, positive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintain them over time
• Knowledge of payroll and personnel record keeping regulations, principles and best practices
• Ability to adhere to highest standards of professionalism, discretion and confidentiality
• Strong working knowledge of Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) applications
• Working knowledge of federal, state and local employment/labor laws and regulations
• Intermediate to Advanced proficiency using Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Ability to represent oneself and the company in a professional and positive manner in all situations
• Working knowledge of HR best practices, including industry-specific HR best practices
• Versed in proper office/organizational/business etiquette.
• Bachelor of Arts / Sciences degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, related major or equivalent experience (preferred)
• Minimum 5 years diversified HR experience
• Specialized professional training a plus (PHR or SPHR preferred)
• 2+ years of people management
• Union Experience preferred
• Experience in live events preferred
• Bilingual a plus
• While performing duties of this job, the employee will frequently operate a computer and other office devices such as calculators, telephones, copy machines, faxes and printers. Employee will occasionally move about inside and outside various areas of the facility before/during /after events to interact with internal/external clients. Employee must constantly communicate via telephone, email and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. Employee may occasionally be required due to business demands and event operations to lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
The duties of this position are performed primarily indoors in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate during non-event days and moderate to loud during event days. Large crowds are present during events.
Strengthened by our Differences. United to Make a Difference.
At OVG, we understand that to continue positively disrupting the sports and live entertainment industry, we need a diverse team to help us do it. We also believe that inclusivity drives innovation, strengthens our people, improves our service, and raises our excellence. Our success is rooted in creating environments that reflect and celebrate the diverse communities in which we operate and serve, and this is the reason we are committed to amplifying voices from all different backgrounds.
Oak View Group is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis ("protected class") including, but not limited to veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.